Re: ANNOUNCE: Theres a new Linux list...

<SOAPBOX RANT>
I've been thinking about this for some time now (at least since you posted
the message) and have come to the conclusion that you can keep your Yahoo
group. I don't know about you or anyone else, I know only how I feel about
this. Yahoo is a HUGE organization and in order to 'join' your community
through their umbrella portal - you have to register personal information
like age, geographic locale, and personal information that I'd just as soon
not give them. I don't trust Yahoo with my money (they burned me in the
market for a couple of dollars), I don't like their 'holier-than-thou'
attitude, and I especially don't care to support or be a part of any large
corporate entity - no matter what they SAY they stand for (when I have a
choice and it doesn't affect whether I can put food in my belly and keep a
roof over my head - like being forced to support, grudgingly, Microsoft and
their Information Anarchists). I don't care for having to put crap on my
computer of having to run what I feel may be insecure code even in my
browser to chat or talk. I don't now nor ever felt a need for real-time
discussion online, anyway - that's what the telephone was invented for...
and nothing beats face to face conversation!

Is this unreasonable? Do I have an attitude? Did someone piss in my grits
this morning (Actually one of my cats pissed on my beer huggy - I left it
out last night after watching Saturday Night Live...   eeeeyyyyyyuuuuuwwwwww

Perhaps   :|
</SOAPBOX RANT>

Suffice it to say, I would prefer that you run your own server and delegate
willing participants to generate the tools they'd (who are THEY? Real geeks
and user group members who would willingly donate their time for this) like
to see and use on the server without relying on some 'outside' hosting
service provider forcing their commercials and business issues down your
throat. Create your own virtual community - on your own servers - without
relying on big brother! There are a variety of tools and sourceforge
projects that have all these services and more. I refuse to sign up to
anything Yahoo, now or ever. Same goes for AIM, MSN, or any of the other
denizens who bleed you for personal information to further their dark plans
for the future where they'll make you feel you can't live without their
service - where you no longer have a desire but a NEED. Somewhat akin to a
drug-pusher...

Time to meditate...  (assuming the lotus) "oohhhhmmmmmm..........."

--Laszlo