Re: bandwidth limiting on virtual hosts

I can't say how well it works from an admin standpoint - though this is
a project I'm working on for the next couple of weeks (apperently it's
nice for web developers to be able to test sites at speeds less than
100Mbps).  From a user standpoint, though, my ISP provides wireless
service with different levels of bandwidth, and the bandwidth is shaped
using the tc stuff.  I think he's using the cbq thing now.  It works
pretty well - when I was at a less-than-full-bandwidth rate it would
choke the speed down without introducing any latency that wasn't in
line with the lower transfer rate.  I use ssh a lot, and the latency
doesn't appear to be affected much through the connect.

Anyway, I'm building the tools next week on our router (which needs
rebuilt anyway due to some incompetent sysadmin forgetting to update
openSSH on the machine and subsequently getting halfway-hacked by an
even more incompetent script kiddie).  I'll let you know if the obtuse
system drives me completely insane or not. :)

BTW, the "linux 2.4 advanced routing" how-to is fairly helpful, too,
though selecting a queueing algorithm seems to require more of a CS
degree than it should...  Sigh.

--Danny, who might understand better after he takes the history class
and art appreciation course that are keeping him from his CS degree
</rant>