apt-get w/ RedHat

I have been playing with apt-get for RPM lately.  Since I know some of
you work with apt a lot I thought I'd post this problem I've run into.

The described "problem" occurs with both RedHat 8.0 and Fedora Core 1.

apt likes to resolve dependencies even when they aren't really missing.
For instance, I've installed MySQL 4.x from mysql.com which uses the RPM
name MySQL as opposed to the name given by RedHat mysql.  I had
installed it with --force and/or --nodepends.  Everything works fine.
The RedHat applications that were installed before upgrading to MySQL
4.x work fine because it is still there.  However, apt-get will not let
me install anything because of unmet dependencies, due to the fact that
application RPMs say they are missing mysql.  Another place where this
comes into play is with PERL modules that have been installed via CPAN
rather than RPM.

The question is, can apt be "tricked" into realizing that the dependency
HAS been met?  I cannot find anything in the config docs that would
indicate it can.
--
Todd Davis <tdavis@msfw.com>
MSF&W