NFS problems...

Sometime yesterday afternoon, something went horribly wrong with my NFS
server and I'm not seeing what...  Attached is a sample of what goes on.
Initially, I've got a Mail directory that's owned by me, so pine or IMAP can
read my folders.  I start pine, list the folders, and the owner/group are
changed to 65535, thus preventing me (and pine or IMAP) from reading or
listing my folders.  I exit pine, and the following is what happens:

sauer@pyro:~ > ls -ld ~/Mail
drwx------   2 65535    65535        2048 Nov 11 07:50 /home/sauer/Mail
sauer@pyro:~ > rsh cloud120 ls -ld ~/Mail
drwx------   2 sauer    users        2048 Nov 11  1999 /home/sauer/Mail
sauer@pyro:~ > rsh cloud233 ls -ld ~/Mail
drwx------   2 sauer    users        2048 Nov 11 07:50 /home/sauer/Mail
sauer@pyro:~ > ls -ld ~/Mail
drwx------   2 65535    65535        2048 Nov 11 07:50 /home/sauer/Mail
sauer@pyro:~ > ls -ld ~/Mail
drwx------   2 sauer    users        2048 Nov 11 07:50 /home/sauer/Mail

The folders are actually on cloud233.  So, the ownership isn't changed
there.  Apperently, at the same time, cloud120, which *also* has the home
dirs NFS mounted sees the right UID/GID.  The machine I started pine on
(pyro) sees the wrong ID's, then after about a minute, it sees the right
IDs again.  This hapens from any machine that has NFS mounted the home dirs,
and for all users.  So, no one can see their mail folders with IMAP or pine
until/unless the connect to the machine that has the dirs locally.

It loks like somethign's screwy with the file locking or ugidd, but I don't
know precisely what or how to fix it without switching to a new system.
Does anyone else know? :)  (I've tried restarting the nfsserver on both the
server and all clients to no avail).

Thanks a lot,
Danny