Re: Xfree4

Cloudmaster said:
> I pulled down everything from 3dfxgamers, and built the 3.3.5 stuff for my
> old 3.3.5 X install.  It did nothing for me, so I went with betaX.  I didn't
> see anything up there for development X, even though voodoo3's supposed to
> be working.  Really, I'm just having a hard time finding any doc's that are
> worth a damn anywhere, and was hoping someone would have already put up some
> kind of documentation.  One would think that I'd know better by now. :)

There's somebody who posts all the time on

who has all sorts of instructions, but I've never needed them...

All you need to do to get 3D working on 3.3.5 is get all the rpms from

    http://www.3dfxgamers.com/view.asp?IOID=31

Rebuild Device3Dfx-2.3-1.src.rpm with "rpm --rebuild", then install
it.  Run "depmod -a" to make sure the module gets installed.  Also
make sure you've got a /dev/3dfx that is read/write by you.
(Actually, it's very likely that's where your problem is.)  Install
the rest of the rpms and run XF86Setup as usual.  There's one other
thing to watch out for...  Make sure you define every resolution you
can think of (640x480, 800x600, and 1024x768 at an absolute minimum),
since Glide just uses DGA to switch X into the resolution you want to
run whatever at, then takes over the display.

If you want to try XFree 3.9.16, get the rpms from

    http://www.3dfxgamers.com/view.asp?IOID=1024

The Device3Dfx stuff is obsoleted by the DRI stuff, but now there's a
DRI module that you have to install in basically the same way that you
install Device3Dfx.  Other than that, you can just install all of the
rpms and you're done.  They even include a XF86Config, since it's
completely different than the 3.3.x XF86Config.

I hope that helps.  If not, let me know what's confusing and I'll help
you out after I have a little sleep.  :-)

(217)698-1694             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month