Re: Broadband

Tonight on the Superstation... "Bandwidth Wars"!

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 11:10:18AM -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:

> In all honesty, there is very little difference between the network
> layout of cheap DSL providers and the cable providers.  The only real
> difference is the delivery mechanism (phone line vs. cable).  The
> whole reason why cheap DSL is cheap is that the bandwidth is
> oversubscribed like mad, meaning you have the *exact* same problem
> with "the mindless hoards" that you would with cable.

This is certainly true.  My thought is that with DSL, you're at least
not *required* to have a lame setup by the *architecture*.

I'm sure we'll continue to have ISPs that suck in the age of
broadband, just as we do now.  With DSL, though, it's possible to have
an ISP that doesn't suck.  Is that possible with cable?  Perhaps, with
monster total bandwidth and smaller "neighborhoods", but it's at least
a little harder and involves issues outside your wiring closet.