Re: compiling for non-factory

Cloudmaster said:
> Oh.  That would probably make my life a lot easier, especially when I modify
> the image.  I think I'll start using a directory right now instead of my
> "work from an image" thing.  What the hell was I thinking?  forgot all about
> "tar" copying devices and stuff...

When I was working on my disk image, I copied a bunch of stuff into
the image, then started deleting things to see when it would break.
Later, I noticed that one of the directories was taking up a few K
more than it should have been.

The easiest way to explain is to show you what I mean:

    osiris:~$ mkdir big
    osiris:~$ ls -ld big
    drwxr-xr-x   2 steve    bin          1024 Apr 29 21:18 big/
    osiris:~$ cd big
    osiris:~/big$ perl -e 'for (0..1024) { open(FILE, ">$_"); }'
    osiris:~/big$ ls -ld
    drwxr-xr-x   2 steve    bin         13312 Apr 29 21:20 ./
    osiris:~/big$ rm *
    osiris:~/big$ ls -ld
    drwxr-xr-x   2 steve    bin         13312 Apr 29 21:20 ./

In other words, creating 1k files in a directory makes the directory
take up 13k on disk, at least in this example...  Deleting the files
doesn't free that space back up.  ("rmdir" does though.  ;)

> Yet another good idea.  I'll have to try that.  Is it OK to use minix for
> the root fs if I'm using a compressed diskimage?

Sure.  Also, you might want to look into romfs...

(618)398-7320             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month