Re: One more C question

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 12:05:45AM -0400, Jordan Bettis wrote:

> Is there any way to find the size of an array that is refrenced by a
> pointer? I need to find the size of **argv (or *argv[] if you would
> prefer). wouldn't sizeof() just give me that of the pointer, not what it
> is pointing to? I need to find the size of one string, not the entire
> array of strings. so it would be like argv[known][need to know].

There's no way of finding the number of elements in an array "by
default".  For null-terminated character arrays (otherwise known as
strings), you can use strlen().  In the special case of argv, the
number of arguments is in argc, and (I believe) argv[argc] = NULL.
(That may be specific to some compiler I used, so don't quote me on
it.)

So, you could do this to get the length of the last argument:

  len = strlen(argv[argc-1]);