Re: FREE email server for Windows/Linux?

On Wed, Sep 20, 2000 at 08:39:22PM -0700, Travis Davies wrote:

> Anyone know of a FREE email server for windows and/or
> Linux that works for a LAN running both Linux and 98?

On the Windows side, there are a few, although they're of varying
quality.  I usually hear about them first on BugTraq, as part of a
security advisory. :-)

Most Linux distributions come with everything you need to do E-mail,
including POP3 and IMAP servers, some kind of MTA (like sendmail or
postfix), and clients.  Before I moved, I had a system set up where
either my wife or I could get to our E-mail transparently from any
computer on the home network, whether running Windows or Linux.

I'd also recommend fetchmail, for pulling mail off remote POP3
accounts and delivering them locally.