Re: remotely displaying X apps on another machine

This is the reason I started using linux back in '95.

The safest way to do this is to use openssh, which is available for most
flavors of *nix. On the machine which you want to share x-apps from, there
should be the following line in the file /etc/ssh2/sshd2.config

        ForwardX11                      yes

Then, after sshing into the machine you should just be able to type in the
name of the x-app you want. The only problem I run into when going to our
solaris boxen is a mismatch in the bitdepth between them and my linux
machine, causing screendumps to give odd results.

The easy insecure way is to do the following sequence:

[user@vrmuseum user]$ xhost marduk
marduk being added to access control list
[user@vrmuseum user]$ telnet marduk
Trying 192.168.1.5...
Connected to marduk
Escape character is '^]'.

SunOS 5.6

login: soluser
Password:
Last login: Thu May 10 09:29:38 from vrmuseum
Sun Microsystems Inc.   SunOS 5.6       Generic August 1997
You have mail.

soluser@marduk% xterm -sb -display vrmuseum:0 &

This will then open an xterm on your linux box, but logged into marduk,
where you proceed type in the x-apps you want.

Note that nothing is incrypted, so you are open to sniffers catching your
passwords. The same problems of mismatched bitdepths apply.

Erich --hoping he typed everything in right