Re: remotely displaying X apps on another machine

On Mon, May 14, 2001 at 08:04:46AM -0700, Robert Threet wrote:
> I've been wanting to try remotely displaying X apps on
> another machine.  I haven't been able to do this.  Is
> this possible from, say, Solaris or AIX to Linux?  Or
> is the cross platform a problem?
>
> Also, what about security issues?  I've heard there's
> a really easy, but insecure way to do this.

On the machine being displayed upon:
	xhost + remotemachine.name.com
On the machine running the app (in the terminal launching the app):
	export DISPLAY=machine.todisplay.on:0

That's insecure, 'cause you're letting anyone on the remote machine displa
(and read) stuff on your display host's display number 0.  A better way is
to use SSH to connect to begin with:
	ssh -X remotemachine.name.com
Throw a "-C" in there if you're on a slow link, too.  The "-X" explicitly
requests x session forwarding over the encrypted link, and the "-C" will
turn on compression.

There's more to it than that, but you don't need any more info if this much
works for you. ;)

--Danny