error codes

I got a new Motherboard. Its a asus A7M266ddr sdram
socket A. When I try to boot it up the three lights on
my keyboard turn on and I get no screen output. No
beeps either. Once it booted up and the bios was said
it was running at 900mhz. so when I configured it for
1200 it booted up again in some sort of bios safemode.
any ideas?
Amd athalon thunderbird 1200 2 levels of chache

Also, I was wondering, for AMD chips, is it absolutly
necessary to put the thermal paste on?

Has anyone had a problem like this?

Travis