Re: four distros into one

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 03:36:53PM -0500 or thereabouts, Kara Pritchard wrote:

> > This might change the definition or concepts of independent
> > certifications down the line, don't you think?
>
> No, I didn't know about these plans a few months ago, what makes you think
> that? :-) *grin*

hee, hee... I should have known better..

> No, it won't change the concepts of independent certifications, at least
> not LPI if that's what you mean. LPI isn't a product certification, it's a
> job certification based on the standards of the product. If their combined
> efforts remain true to the Linux Standards Base definition, then the
> content of the certification won't change at all.

In reading the newer announcements from today, it seems they will adhere
to the LSB definitions. I realize that it isn't a product cert, like
RHCE, but the standards cert, and this is what I was fearful of. Upon
further readings today, they say that all will have the same kernel,
etc, and a lot of independent vendors are backing this, i.e. IBM,
Oricle, etc..

> Given SuSE and such have been so involved in LPI's development rather than
> developing their own product certification, I don't think you'll see much
> change in the training and certification industry.

This is good news, and what you say makes good sense.

--
Best regards,
Gary