Re: CD Audio Interferes with Modem.

Glad to hear it worked.

You either have to throw it in a boot script like rc.local or any other rc
file that can access the location of the hdparm binary.

Also, hdparm supports writing parameters to the drive.. but I only use the
bootscript method over storing machine-specific params in a drive that may be
used elsewhere.  *shrug*  Maybe my concerns are unfounded, but you have the
option.

Damacus

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 10:52:51AM -0600, Tesla Coil wrote:
> On 20 Dec 2002, Damacus replied to Al Gatton:
> >> Could it be possible that the CD audio is so busy reading from the
> >> drive that the interrupt driven device is not allowing the processor
> >> to 'see' all the ping requests in order to reply to them?
> >
> > Yes, it's totally possible and fairly probable.  I've had this problem in
> > the past, but in my case, it was excessive SCSI access to my HDDs on a 486
> > box that were taking away from the modems abilities.
> >
> > I didn't receive any help here, but I did eventually find the problem.
> >
> > http://www.luci.org/luci-discuss/199912/msg00030.html
> >
> > (hdparm -u1 /dev/device)
>
> That fixes it.  Do I gotta put this in bootup commands, is there
> another way to set it as default parameter, or is it a bad thing
> for other purposes (considering that it isn't default behavior in
> the first place)?

--Damacus Porteng: damacus@munich.com & damacus@bastion.yi.org
--Webpage: http://bastion.yi.org/~damacus/ (PGP on site)
--IRC: net=irc.galaxynet.org nick=damacus chan=#cronus
--Me: PHP Web Developer, Student, Computer/Linux Geek.

--Car: 2002 Black Saturn SL2 (5spd) (1K mi.)  (stock)
--Car: 1993 Emerald Green Ford Taurus SHO (5spd) (114K mi.)
--Name: Sheeva -- 'Charming' (Iranian) or 'Good, Peace' (Irish)
--========== Nook's SFCs, SHOShop Y-Pipe w/ HiFlow cats
--========== SHOShop T304 catback, PPlus Reinf. Mtr Mnts