Re: What is that rbl Eric?

I'm using sendmail, and have the following lines in /etc/mail/sendmail.mc

FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl',`list.dsbl.org')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl',`bl.spamcop.net')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl',`sbl.spamhaus.org')dnl
FEATURE(`dnsbl',`relays.ordb.org')dnl

This makes lines in the maillog that have a line that includes " refused
by blackhole site bl.spamcop.net" for example.

for my "local rules" I just have lines that look like

somejerkspam.com             DENY

in /etc/mail/access

and the statistics are gathered by a perl script that Steve put together,
and I slightly modified to make it work with my setup.

Erich

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Danny Sauer wrote:

> I must've missed this part of the last meeting - where're you getting
> those stats from (aside from the mail log)?  Are you doing custom error
> messages, or something else?
>
> --Danny, who currently just counts 5xx v/s 250
>
> Erich Schroeder said:
> > Sorry, didn't read my mail right away. My spamstats currently look like:
> >
> > Spam blocked since May 11 04:05:00:
> >
> > bl.spamcop.net          5443
> > list.dsbl.org           1828
> > www.spamlist.org        1738
> > sbl.spamhaus.org         793
> > Local rules              408
> > relays.ordb.org           64
> > ----------------------------
> > Total                  10274
> > Total messages         38591
> > 27% of all mail blocked.
> >
> > bl.spamcop was always the highest. list.dsbl.org was the one I added
> > during the last meeting, and was what was showing highest in Steves's
> > listing. Relays.ordb.org hasn't caught anything new in a couple of
> > weeks, but then it is listed last in my sendmail.m4. My local rules are
> > mostly just when I get mad at a particular spammer and add them to my
> > /etc/mail/access file.
> >
> > We have had a problem with some legitimate mail being blocked by
> > list.dsbl.org. We had a teacher whose home account was with a local ISP
> > in  Beardstown blocked from us. Other spam-blocking services didn't show
> > that  ISP as having an open relay but list.dsbl.org did.
> >
> > eks
> >
> > On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, Gary wrote:
> >
> >> Eric,
> >> I neglected to write down your main rbl that you use, the one that
> >> gives the most spam rejects.  I am curious...  Thanks. I forgot to
> >> write it down at the last meeting.

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/