Re: SA-Exim and User Preferences

On Tue, Jul 08, 2003 at 10:43:16AM -0400, Danny Sauer wrote:
> Benjamin Story wrote:
> [...]
> >The problem is that the networking manager wants the SMTP rejection
> >routines and the MIS VP wants total user custom control through the SA
> >user_prefs.  Unfortunately these seem to be mutually exclusive goals
> >since sa-exim doesn't honor user_prefs the way it is currently coded.
> >What I'm looking for is a way to get the local_scan sa-exim to run
> >spamc with the -u flag and put the to: address as the user.
> >
> >Any ideas short or rewriting sa-exim?
>
> Point out to the networking manager that the whole message has to be
> delivered for SA to process it anyway, so there's no bandwidth benefit
> to using the SMTP rejection.  Honestly, I'm not sure that there's *any*
> benefit, aside from checking the sender against some blacklists and
> checking the FROM/TO for validity.  After the DATA's sent, the client's
> gonna send the headers and the rest of the message before it pays any
> attention to any server responses.

Well one advantage is that spammers get a mailer-daemon error which
most of them use to drop addressess from their list.  Granted this
isn't a show stopper I guess.

> If the goal is to nofiy the sender that their message was marked as
> spam, then why don't you just use the router/spamc solution to get
> per-user configs, use procmail for local delivery, and set up a
> responder in the /etc/procmailrc that'll send a response if the
> X-Spam-Status header is Yes?

We are doing the X-Spam-Status header, but as this is a gateway to
"defend" an exchange server procmail will have to be outlook rules
(yuck). ;-)
> --Danny

Benjamin Story

() Join the ASCII ribbon campaign against HTML email and Microsoft-specific
/\ attachments. If I wanted to read HTML, I would have visited your website!
Support open standards.