Re: Insight broadband with linux woes

Try visiting http://sas.insightbb.com through linux. Follow the instructions and see if that fixes anything.

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 15:22, Amit Mehrotra wrote:
Greetings,

Before getting InsightBB I ran through a similar thread from Aug 2003 on
this list. I live in Champaign IL and got InsightBB. I have a linksys
router to which I have connected two laptops. One is Windoze 2000 (which
was used for registration and whose MAC address I cloned on the router).
The other is a dual-boot Windoze2000 and linux. I installed InsightBB
software on both laptops (on windoze side on the dual boot one). From
Windoze side both work fine. I use Mozilla on Windoze side for web
browsing but the one-time registration was done using IE. The problem is
when I am in linux mode.

First, I coould not view any webpage from the linux side. I would get a
message saying that I need to register my PC and when I followed the
link, it said that I am already registered. When I tried pinging
www.google.com, ping returned from www.google.com.***.insightbb.com. I
remembered the mention of the DNS issue so I replaced their nameservers
from /etc/resolv.conf with University of Illinois nameservers. Now I
could get to quite a few sites but not to www.uiuc.edu or www.google.com
or mail.yahoo.com. I looked at Mozilla's configuration on the Windoze
side and it is not using any proxy.

It is somewhat critical for me to get to uiuc.edu websites from linux
side. Is there a way out or should I dump InsightBB and go with Yahoo
DSL which seems to be available here? I have read a few reviews on the
web of SBC/Yahoo DSL and they claim that in Champaign it is slower than
dial-up! Anybody can comment on that?

Thanks,

Amit

This is a digitally signed message part