Re: dns forwarding

Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> Danny Sauer wrote:
>
>>I'm not too worried about someone r00ting my 10.1.1.x name servers - but
>>the point's well taken... ;)
>

> 70% of attacks are internal.
>
> DNS servers are the best servers to gain access to.  You can have all
> sorts of fun with them on a LAN, unless the LAN is a fully Kerberosized
> network (which makes it more difficult because of the whole token 'thang
> even if the DNS servers are hacked).

Good advice in general.  To defend myself, though, since this is a
public list: :)

There are 12 people on-site including me, and only a handful more
off-site that have shell access.  I trust them all, but even without
that trust there are only 2 who even know what a DNS server is, and the
one who also knows what "chroot" is also used to be the sysadmin (now is
the trusted backup admin).  My internal security concerns consist almost
entirely of accidentally deleted files on the web server or local
workstations.  My previous job was different (students will try the
darnedest things), but I much prefer the lack of stress here. :)

That said, one DNS server is also the dial in server - which would get
an intruder a modem, I guess.  The other DNS server runs on the database
server, which might be fun in and of itself, but otherwise wouldn't
provide anything useful.  The only accounts on those machines are root,
me (with an empty home dir) and the daemon accounts.  They have LDAP
access, but it does the "bind as the user" thing to auth, so they don't
have any info on other networked machines other than the LDAP server,
which is relatively secure.  There are no local logs - just the address
of the remote log server.  They don't have compilers (or Perl/Python),
either.  Lemme know if there's something fun that I've missed - but they
sound pretty boring as far as "fun on the LAN" goes...  I'm running
snort on a separate internal machine & the router's external interface,
and I trust that it'd let me know if anything too weird was going on.
Lemme know if there's something else that I'm missing, though.

My other private network is also running Bind 8 and Bind 4(!)
internally, but my wife's the only other user there.  She knows I'll
knock her silly if she hacks our darned DNS server. ;)

--Danny, who wouldn't actually hit his wife