Re: the problem of spam

On Thu, Feb 26, 2004 at 02:52:02PM -0600, Erich Schroeder wrote:
> I didn't mention in the meeting, but earlier this month I installed
> MailScanner http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/
>
> It's alot like the other options, and it works with the stock sendmail.

Pretty much everything will work with sendmail's milter interface,
which is one of the few really good things about sendmail.  (Not good
enough to outweigh the good things about Postfix for this application
though.)

I have this violent knee-jerk reaction against MailScanner...  The FAQ
leads me to believe that the author doesn't have the slightest clue
how a daemon should work.

  http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/faq.shtml#22

It is terribly interesting to read public statements from the authors
of these various mail scanning daemons...  The only one that gives me
right warm fuzzies is amavisd-new, although after working with it I'm
convinced that amavis-ng is the better program from a long-term
maintenance point of view.  Unfortunately, the author of amavis-ng
thinks that isn't the right place to handle spam filtering, and I
strongly disagree.