Re: Tools and Techniques

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 17:08:47 -0600, Ken Keefe wrote:
> I have recently done this. Not to say that I am a know-it-all by
> any means, but I think I have been where you want to go. Here is
> what I did to get my feet drenched in web development...
> Something that you want to be very clear that you understand is the
> difference between client-side dynamic content (DHTML, Javascript)
> and server-side dynamic content (PHP, Perl, Python, ASP, JSP, the
> list goes on...).

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far. Lots of good suggestions to
study.

A bit of clarification...

I want to do things on the server so the user only has to have a
browser be it IE, Firefox, Opera, etc. No special plug-ins, downloaded
modules, javascript enabled in the browser, etc.

I have some basic HTML experience and some experience with PHP but
nothing fancy in either case, just enough to grab some data from a
MySQL database and present it on a web page using MySQL, Apache, and
PHP.

I guess having read the comments so far the part I'm missing is a good
reference on using HTML/PHP to do forms, etc. The knowledge I'm
lacking is how to display a nicely formatted form, collect and
validate user input, and return results back to the form for editing
or viewing.

Tim