Re: Postfix Configuration

ricky@learnautomation.com wrote:
> I bought one of the virtual servers at vpslink.com.  I'm very happy with
> it, and right now am running Link (package) 2 with 5 Gigs hdd space, and
> 128 Megs of RAM.  Accessing the server through Secure shell.  The server
> is an a LAMP configuration.

Hmm.  I was hosted for a while on VPSLink.  If you're interested, I can
tell you why I switched off.

> I'm trying to take this issue one step at a time, so the first thing I
> would like to do is to get postfix to receive mail from
> ricky@ethernetgateway.com, and map the mail to the rbryce account on the
> virtual machine.  I'm wanting to use separate mailboxes with system
> accounts, so I think Aliasing is the way to do this.

Sure.  But "aliasing" could mean a few things.  Postfix has a number of
ways to do aliases, some for backward-compatibility purposes, and some
having to do with the architecture of postfix.

Here's a Web page with a list of all the different ways Postfix can
rewrite addresses:

http://www.postfix.org/ADDRESS_REWRITING_README.html

> Consider a default LAMP configuration with sendmail erased and postfix and
> dovecot installed.  Also, please consider, this is the first time I've
> tried to configure postfix.  I do have Webmin installed also, and SSL
> enabled.

Fedora, I assume?  That could make a difference.

> If I go to main.cf in /etc/postfix/,
>
> alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases is uncommented
>
> rbryce is an existing UNIX system user (created by adduser)
>
> In /etc/aliases (at the very bottom of the file rbryce:
> ricky@ethernetgateway.com exists

OK, two problems here.

Minor problem: you usually have to refresh the hash table after editing
/etc/aliases.  Some distros provide the "newaliases" command, or you can
do "postmap hash:/etc/aliases".  Then, "postfix reload" so it notices
the new files immediately.

Major problem: the aliases entry you gave directs all mail for the local
user "rbryce" to "ricky@ethernetgateway.com".  It sounds like you want
the exact reverse.  But, as I mentioned before, /etc/aliases is only for
local usernames, so you can't use /etc/aliases for this unless you want
"ricky@<anything>" to go to "rbryce".

> I've used the command postconf -e "virtual_alias_domains =
> ethernetgateway.com
 >
> and
>
> postconf -e "virtual_alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual"
>
> To create a map database, I've typed
>
> postfix /etc/postfix/virtual

Sure (well, I'm sure you meant to type "postmap" here"), but what did
you put in /etc/postfix/virtual?

If nothing, then I suspect this is where you're going wrong.  This is
the file where you tell postfix that "ricky@ethernetgateway.com" is the
local user "rbryce".

> (restarted postfix)
>
> When I go to yahoo, and send a message to my ricky@ethernetgateway.com
> address, I am not getting a bounce.
>
> When I su to rbryce on the server, and type "mail" I get "no mail for
> rbryce" when I would have expected to receive a message.

Not sure what's going on here (unless Yahoo spam-filtered your bounce).
  The mail logs should help.  I think it's pretty common to have a
/var/log/mail.log; if not, and nothing else looks right, check the main
log (/var/log/messages or /var/log/syslog), and as a last resort check
/etc/syslog.conf for hints as to where those messages might be going.

You'll want to figure out where those logs are going at any rate; if you
run your own mail server, those logs will be your salvation on many
occasions, at least if you're anything like me.

> If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it...
> Or even recommend a good web document, it would be appreciated.  Maybe I
> have some conceptual errors as to how to configure the mail.  Once I get
> postfix running right, I'll be happy with this server.  (I'm happy
> already!)

Postfix's web site, postfix.org, is pretty good.  In particular, this
might help:

http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html