Re: Linux Internet Server Project

From: "Ricky Bryce" <rbryce@mcleodusa.net>
> I am trying to visualize what you are working toward.  It is my
> understanding that you are going to have a program running on a
windows 98
> machine that pulls data out of your PLC's or embedded computers, and
write
> this data to a Linux server database.

Starting out this is correct. What we have now is not ideal but it
does work. Over the next few months I need to concentrate on pieces
that do not exist at all. Then I can work more towards an ideal end to
end solution.

> You are then going to run a web
> server on this server which uses embedded tags in the HTML code to
display
> data from the database...  You can probably use PHP for that.

Yes. The piece that is missing will get the data from our present PC,
make subsets of it available to specific customers via web pages.

I don't know that it's too important for these discussions but the
remote equipment communicates with our Win98 "host" once each day to
let us know it's alive and well and then as frequently as needed to
pass information regarding changes. The host can also initiate
communication to a remote but this is very infrequent.

The remote units are designed by us (me) and include an embedded
microcontroller, modem chip set, sensor inputs, etc.

> We just need to know what the program is that is pulling data from
your
> plant floor and putting it in the access database, so we can get
that
> redirected to the Linux machine.

The host presently runs Win98 because that's what I inherited. A VB
application answers the phones, validates the data and stuffs it into
Access. Other than time and workload there's no reason a Linux app
cannot eventually do these tasks in conjunction with MySQL or
something else.

> By the way...  What city is your plant located?

I'm located in Springfield, IL.

Tim