Re: Apt for RPM question, blocking certain rpms

I also think this would be a good topic. I still haven't figured out how
to find out RPM-APT functions, other than asking Steve. For example, one
of my upgrades updated the apt.conf file so that I can see that now there
is the possibility of different rpm options for install and erase. On a
number of my machines I exclude documentation and I used to have to
comment out the command when removing rpms. In the RPM section of apt.conf
I had:

   Options {"--excludedocs";};

But now you can have:

    Options { };
    Install-Options { "--excludedocs"; }
    Erase-Options { };

eks

On Tue, 7 Oct 2003 mike808@users.sourceforge.net wrote:

> Steve wrote:
> > Assuming apt 0.5.x, put this in the RPM {} section in
> > /etc/apt/apt.conf:
> >     Hold { "^php$"; "^gd-devel$"; };
> > You get the idea...
>
> No I don't. Would you mind putting this on the list of stuff to talk about
> either at a future meeting or here on the list?
>
> I'm trying to get my head around this idea that the /etc/apt/preferences file
> and the /etc/apt/apt.conf file are actually two different ways to do some of the
> same things, and mix this in with the fact that apt is really just a Perl script
> or uses Perl somehow, since the documentation for apt.conf smells *a lot* like
> Perl code with all of what looks like "packages/namespaces", anonymous hashes,
> and regular expressions.
>
> Is one preferable to the other (pinning packages and versions in apt.conf vs
> preferences)?
>
> If they're both equivalent, which, IYHO, is headed for "deprecated" status?
> Or is it an issue of dealing with repositories or not?
>
> Mike/

Erich Schroeder                    Phone: (217)785-0033
Curator, Information Technologies  FAX:   (217)785-2857
Illinois State Museum GIS Lab      email:erich(at)illinois.state.museum
                 http://illinois.state.museum/