Re: tape backup HOWTO?

Charles Menzes said:
> is there a howto available for ide tape backup? i don't find one on
> linuxdoc.org

I don't see anything, but I would assume (hope) that using an IDE tape
drive is no different than using a SCSI or floppy-based tape drive.

> also, is there an easy method for finding out what is attached to
> /dev/hdd/ /dev/hdc other than opening the box?

You should be able to "dmesg | grep hd" or (on Red Hat, maybe others)
grep in /var/log/dmesg (or messages, if the box hasn't been up long
enough for logrotate to run).  You can also poke around in /proc/ide.

The following script *should* print out the model numbers of all the
IDE devices attached to your system:

    #!/bin/sh
    cd /proc/ide || ( echo "No IDE support present." ; exit 1 )

    num=0

    for file in */*/model ; do
      printf '%s:\n\t' "`echo $file | sed 's,/model$,,'`"
      cat $file
      echo
      let num+=1
    done

    if [ $num -gt 0 ] ; then
	echo "$num device(s) found."
    else
	echo "No IDE devices found."
    fi

BTW, it probably goes without saying, but make sure you have support
for IDE tape drives, either as a module or compiled into your kernel.

(618)398-7320             | Meetings the 4th Tuesday of every month