Re: Interest in SIG?

> I would be concerned about its impact on PM.  A "Newbie Night" could
> draw too much talent out of PM.  If played carefully, however, it could
> also strengthen PM by getting the word out about the group's existence,
> and how great a language Perl is.  Any thoughts?

I was thinking about that, but since I don't attend PM meetings, it
shouldn't be a problem, at least for me. As for the "talents", I'll only
drag you out one at a time, and in advance.

I actually think it WILL grow the PM group from it's tiny little state
now, as newbie members are going to grow bored of the newbie topics quite
quickly, and most will probably jump right into the programming and
advanced atmospheres.

I think I'll work this weekend or so on a hard formatted schedule. As
newbies aren't newbies for long, It will be easy to set a format that
rotates from newbie to intermediate, allowing members to easily graduate
into full LUGgers...

Some topics I'm thinking of...

Installation (OS)
Peripheral installation (multi media)
Various Networking Service setup (samba, nfs, printing, apache, etc).

Hmn.. starting to sound like the outline of my book.. heh ;)

We can then have guest speakers, like the PM geeks to do more advanced
newbie stuff at the end of the "rotation" like intro to Perl, intro to
other Linux flavors, etc...

- Kara

Kara Pritchard                        	Phone: 217-698-1694
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Linux Users of Central Illinois		kara@luci.org
LUG Project Manager - Linux.com		kara@linux.com