Re: Interest in SIG?

I've been thinking about that some more... And I don't think 'intro to
samba' would be a good thing for newbie night. Newbie night has to be
dedicated to Linux Newbies. Not Administrator newbies. Key topics, after
Newbie Night is established could do something with samba, but using samba
just isn't a newbie topic. We have a great percentage of people who can't
even get linux installed. Those are the people we need to gear newbie
night for. Samba intro would be better for a real LUG meeting... Keep in
mind, I'm keeping this to 'newbie night' a place where no question is too
silly, and we don't stop until everyone understands fully...

On Mon, 15 Nov 1999, Jeff Licquia wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 15, 1999 at 03:05:30PM -0600, Burke, Jason wrote:
> >
> > I think this is a great idea! I would be more than willing to help out
> > by giving presentations at the Newbie Night. I'm all for it.
>
> <AOL/> :-)  (Look!  It's a sophisticated AOL response!  It's in XML! :-)
>
> I would also be available for presentations on Newbie Night.  Since
> I've had experience with Samba, I could start our inaugural NN with
> a discussion and demo of that for Cameron's sake, unless anyone else
> has other ideas.  Perhaps Jason, Kara, and I (and whoever else) could
> tag-team the speaker's role.
>
> I would be concerned about its impact on PM.  A "Newbie Night" could
> draw too much talent out of PM.  If played carefully, however, it could
> also strengthen PM by getting the word out about the group's existence,
> and how great a language Perl is.  Any thoughts?
>
> --

- Kara

Kara Pritchard                        	Phone: 217-698-1694
Red Hat Certified Engineer
Linux Users of Central Illinois		kara@luci.org
LUG Project Manager - Linux.com		kara@linux.com