Re: Heading back to Orlando -- WAS: Fedora Core == Linux?

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 23:30, Gary wrote:
> This is a sad tale, and I personally am sorry to see you go, as I have
> enjoyed our banter. <g>

Thanx.  Right now I'm admist documenting my job through the end of the
year.  The typical, ~200 page manual.  This seems to be a recurring
theme for me as of late.  But I do it because I always dedicate myself
to ensuring my employer (or client/employer's client) gets the best
quality of work for which they have compensated me directly/indirectly
for.

I hope things start to change, for America's sake.  It's not even the
problem of not having good people are out there.  Even when they are in
a position of power, they typically cannot intervene because it would
require them to admit fault within their organization -- a litigation
nightmare.

> As soon as my wife finishes her dissertation and oral defense for her PhD,
> (somewhere between May and August or so), we also plan on moving out that
> way, around the Orlando area. Please stay in touch.

Good luck.  My wife was set to begin teaching at Illinois Wesleyan at
the start of the year, and they said they were going to help her get
started on her doctorate (she has 2 Master's degrees).  But no more.

I could have just stayed and worked a few more months until I secured
other employment.  But that would not have been fair to my employer's
client, since they were transitioning more and more lead responsibility
to me.  And then there would be the issue of returning to Orlando in the
middle of a semmester in the case of my wife.

No, I think the timing was right.  It came to a point, one that I could
not assume would "work itself out" (and I found out I was right
after-the-fact).  Yeah, it cost me.  But that's nothing new as of late.
People respect my integrity, attention and dedication to the companies
which I serve, regardless if it comes back to me.**

Because, in the end, I have to live with me.  And when I stop liking who
I am, I lose.  [ Damn, when did I go "Stuart Smalley"??? ]

-- Bryan

**NOTE:  Don't confuse me as "in-person, Bryan J. Smith, professional"
with me as in "TheBS" via e-mail.  TheBS is definitely a jerk (or at
least "abbrassive" putting it mildly ;-) on a regular basis in e-mail
(just ask my associates of years).

--
Bryan J. Smith, E.I.  mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org  http://thebs.org
CCDP LPIC-2 MasCIWA MCSE2K+Sec RHCE9 SCNA8 SCSecA9 +20 more certs