Re: Maxtor or IBM/Hitachi

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 11:30:54AM -0500, Steven Pritchard wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 01:30:46PM -0500, Herbie wrote:
> > You don't say what Model # to avoid.
>
> It doesn't matter.  Maxtor sucks.
>
> Western Digital sucks slightly less, but I'd still avoid them.
> (Running hot and being sensitive to heat is a *bad* combination.  They
> can be reasonably reliable if you go a bit overboard with cooling
> though.)

It's funny,  I used to find Maxtor drives to be pretty reliable.  I
still have a lot of old Maxtor drives that keep running problem free.  I
think things started going downhill after they bought out or merged with
Quantum.  Of the 5 maxtor drives I've purchased in the last few years,
I've had 2 of them fail on me.  One was a 6-month old 250GB drive.
Before this, I had only really avoided WD, since I've seen a *LOT* of WD
drives crap out.

Anyhow, though, with Maxtor seeming just as unreliable,I've switched to
Seagate by and large.  They seem to run relatively quietly and the 5
year warranty is pimp.

--
--Damacus Porteng: damacus@bastion.yi.org
--IRC: net=irc.nullirc.net nick=damacus chan=#null